In an attempt to spare my friends and family, I have turned to the world of blogging to share my thoughts and feelings about my #1 passion, baseball and the Jays.
So without further ado...
After a 9 game losing skid, it's nice to see the Jays finally showing more life. It's almost 3 weeks to the day that Burnett stopped the slide. The Jays still haven't shown the complete promise spring training hinted at, but at least they're finding ways to win (ex. Hill's straight steal of home last night). I'm all for more small ball type play, especially when you're offense is scuffling, and so is the other team's.
Since May 11th, they've gone 11 for 17. Good. Their pitching has stepped up, and save for a late innings performance on Sat in Minnesota, they've been pretty consistent. Doc comes back tomorrow, and I'm super excited to be at the game. I swear he's super human, coming back 3 wks minus a day from having an appendectomy. Really though, I'm not surprised at all.
On the Injury Front:
Gregg Zaun is closer than ever to coming back. He should be making his first rehab start today, and hopes to be back next week. I've always loved Zaunie, but having read a stat about how the Jays' E.R.A. is lower when he's around, I love him even more. At least as he says, he gets his Lenny's while he's in Dunedin.
Reed Johnson is swinging a bat this week, but will still be awhile before actually hitting a ball. Brandon League is moving along as he's getting his velocity back. John Thompson is rehab starting. The only up in the air is Gustavo Chacin, but the 2nd MRI he's having might shed some light on what's going on in his shoulder.
It remains to be seen what will happen with Royce Clayton. After fouling a pitch off his left foot two days in a row (the worst last night), he was replaced by Troy Glaus in the 9th last night because he could hardly walk. Glaus was sitting his left hamstring because he's over-compensating for his left heel bone spur. Clayton is getting it checked out, but here's hoping he won't be on the DL, especially since the Jays just sent down utility man Ryan Roberts, to call up pitcher Brian Wolfe.
Closing Thoughts:
- I saw Wolfe pitch twice in spring training this year. Even though I had never really heard of him, he was pretty good. Consistent, and he's been doing pretty well in Triple A.
- I might be the only one, but I'm loving the fun the guys are having with each other. From nerf darts to shaving cream pies to water dumping, to Matt Stairs trying to put a gum bubble on Jesse Litsch's hat without him knowing; I love it all. When you make 100s of 1000s of $ playing a game for a living, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun.
- Although early signs show the Yankees dominance of the late '90s/early '00s is coming to an end, I'm still going to be a little hesitant to break out the parade. Yes, they're sliding; Yes, they're putting A LOT of hope in Roger Clemens (who will only push the team age higher); Yes, I've never believed you could buy a championship; BUT individually they have a lot of talent on their roster. It might be only a matter of time before it starts coming together.
Although I respect Yankees fans for their passion, some times I really don't believe they have a respect for Major League Baseball at large, and I am totally loving them eating some humble pie right now. Just 'cause the Yanks aren't winning, doesn't mean they need to go Chicken Little on baseball's ass, and act like the sky is falling.
__________________________________________________________
The Jays go for the sweep tonight as Jesse Litsch goes against Tyler Clippard. Together they are younger than Rogers Clemens by about 4 1/2 months. Hopefully the Jays can continue to keep the Yanks at bay and make it 4-0 against New York on the season.
Until next time...
JaysGirl5
No comments:
Post a Comment