Considering pitchers and catchers report in less than 5 days, I thought it was about time I (gulp!) acknowledged the end of last season.
I know, I know. It’s been…almost 5 ½ months since the 2007 regular season ended, but it’s a hard thing to type aloud to cyber space for me. As long as I don’t admit that the season is over, a part of me can get through the wonderful Canadian winter and hockey season. Mind you, neither one has been terribly bad so far.
It’s winding up to be an exciting season. The lineup is looking good, and although I have some questions regarding Mr. Johnny Mac and his playing time, I’m really, really looking forward to seeing what this team will be able to do.
I must say, I pretty much agree with all the deals that were made this winter for the Jays. Yes, I was looking forward to having Mactasticness in every game, but Eckstein does give a slight offensive boost without losing too much defence. If the lineup can produce like it was designed to, even before the Rolen and Eckstein additions, you could take the average hit where Johnny is concerned. I realise it’s hard to say whether Johnny Mac’s clutch hits (especially with the bases loaded) will continue this season, but considering he was training with Travis Hafner (I believe) this off-season, you gotta believe he’s been working hard-core on his batting.
As for the Mitchell Report, well, hallelujah! I don’t mean that for the results or for the names mentioned, but just for the fact that the thing is finally released. Now the baseball world can quit concentrating on who’s name is going to pop up next in the investigations to put the report together, but can move forward to dealing with the whole steroids era and move forward from it. I’m going to have some more personal thoughts on the whole “is taking steroids, etc. when they weren’t illegal in the game still cheating” question later. I figure for my first post, post season 2007 I’ll take it easy. All I will say, is that once I again I totally agree with Scott Carson. I'll also have some more thoughts on Clemens, too...but not many. Don't really know if he's worth it anymore.
Let the countdown official begin and continue for Spring Training, the Regular season, and my first/last pilgrimage to the House that Ruth Built later this summer.
Just a note, I do believe Dustin McGowan has shaved the chops. I saw him at the Flex Pack autograph signing, and although I wasn’t specifically looking for them, I don’t recall seeing them either. Who knows…maybe he’ll grow them back throughout the season. Or…maybe he’s just waiting for some March Mustache Madness. Stranger things have happened.
I’ll post again soon, cross my heart, hope to die, may the Jays never win the Series again if I don’t!
JaysGirl5
No comments:
Post a Comment