It's been so long...well, insert any kind of "It's been so long" joke here you want.
I even missed my 1 Year Blog-aversary. So, happy belated one to me. But I'm back now. Hopefully blogging more often...
The only explanation I have for my absense is I don't have one. I could have found the time, but instead I spent my time getting my heart broken more and more watching the games every night. I suppose that's the only reason I can offer then...my sometimes sleep-deprived broken heart just couldn't take spending any more time contemplating the fall of my fave team. My only fave team, really.
A lot has happened since I last blogged. I won't cover it all, but I will put a few thoughts out there into the blogoshere.
It was great seeing the Cubs in town again. I was at the game when Reed Johnson lead-off and walked-off the game with homeruns a few years ago. It was Father's Day then, too. Kind of fitting the way things worked out, and the way the Cubs worked over the Jays this season over Father's Day weekend. Reed, you are missed. But as always, glad to see you're doing so well. You deserve it.
Thank you Cubsters for welcoming another fave ex-Jay to your side of Chi town with open arms. I have a very soft place in my heart for the Cubs for their welcome to Gonzo many years ago. Their fans deserve the success they're having, and although part of me believes they're more successful being the lovable losers, here's hoping their success this season plays out well for them. Like I've said before, maybe Reed "Billy-Goatee" Johnson is just the goat they need to break the curse. If you believe in those sorts of things...
Amazing how times have changed. Last time the Cubs were in town, Sammy Sosa was suspended for using a corked bp bat during a game. At the time the Jays were more worried about the absense of a very popular/successful at the time Japanese player who was on the DL while the Cubs crossed the border and how that would affect attandance instead of Slammin' Sammy not being around. For the life of me, I can't remember his name and neither can anyone else I mention this story to. I do know he played first base and was very tall...like that helps.
Congrats to Ken Griffey Jr. on reaching 600+ homeruns. It's an amazing feat and you deserve it. (Kind of neat I'm writing this as the Jays are playing the Reds.) I can't believe he's 39. It's weird...but he's always going to be the Junior he was in "Little Big League". You know, the one who stole the post-season from the Twins by catching Lou's would-be homerun to centre. I know, I watch too many baseball movies and remember too many details. I might also be slightly one dimensional in my main interests, but honestly, if I spent as much time on other things as I do on anything baseball/Jays, I wouldn't have time to sleep, let alone eat or work. Sad, pathetic, whatever you want to call it, but it's true. So shoot me...
Continuing on...
Roy Halladay was drilled in the head with a sharply hit ball, but is fine. The same can't be said for Aaron Hill (even though his was an elbow to the head). I think out of all the injuries the Jays have had the last few years, this is one that scares me the most. Same with Casey Janssen's, although his not as much. Both injuries could have great impacts on the futures of both players. From all accounts, Casey's rehab is going well and there's no cause for concern. That doesn't change the fact that a torn labrum in a pitcher's pitching shoulder can be severely detrimental. However, I'm not really fearing with that injury anymore. Hilly's, well...at least in Cory Koskie's case he had had a career before his concussion. By no means do I mean that Koskie was ready to retire had he not been injured, but...
I have every faith that Hilly's going to be fine. It'll take time and I don't think anyone is anxiously awaiting his hasty return. As much as I'd miss seeing him play, if it takes until next season for him to be okay to play ball again without any worry for his health, well I don't think anyone could say they're a true Jays fan and not be alright with that.
On to the biggest thing...I am sad John Gibbons was fired. Did he deserve it? No, I don't think so. But, the risk of being accountable when those you manage don't perform is inherent in being a manager. Gibby seemed like a smart guy, so I'm sure he knew that. There's been a lot written about the whole situation, but all I'll say is that Gibby's .500 winning percentage as the Jays manager is not totally indicative of his tenure here. Being able to lead the Jays to a winning record last season (even if they ended up 3rd) amidst all the injuries is something he should be very proud of and Jays fans should applaud him for.
I'm not against the change in hitting coach however. Obviously the approach coming from that area was not working with the Jays. True, a team's overall philosophy for how they play the game usually comes from the manager (or in TO's case the GM), but still. Club's not hitting when they should be (according to guy's career numbers, etc.)...my mind points to the hitting coach. Just like if a team that should be defending well in the infield when they should be can go back on the infield instructor. (I've got much love for Butterfield, so that's just an example.) Needless to say, the story about my encounter with the old hitting coach is a moot point now.
So long John Gibbons. You're departure from the Jays is no indication of your time here.
Welcome back Cito Gaston. Let's hope your calm demeanor and steady patience can help lead the Jays to the level they should be competing at.
It might be just me, but it feels a lot lighter in the Rogers Centre tonight. Yes, I'm at work. Taking some time between innings to put my thoughts down because it's a relatively quiet and easy night for me. Although, the 18 hits and 12 runs the Jays have gotten in 4+ innings could also point to a lighter mood and a weight off the collective Jays' shoulders. Everyone say it now..."Ahhhh....".
Now being honest, this offensive outburst could be a fluke. It could be the Jays hitting it lucky against another last place team and 2 pitchers who just aren't performing. But the optimist and die-hard Jays lover in me won't even let me rationally accept that thought. Already, the Jays have been more agressive. Sure, fouling off pitches, taking balls...but not taking pitches that they should be swinging at. Rolen's homerun was off the first pitch for pete's sake! Plus, Rios doesn't look as lost for a purpose at the plate as he has previously this season.
In all fairness, it's too soon to attribute this to the changing of managerial staff. But, I don't think it's too soon to say that regardless of whether the firings/hirings were right or wrong, the Jays' hitters finally seem to be able to do what comes naturally to them. Hit the ball.
I think that's it's for me now. There's still one change that I think needs to be made. And although I don't want to comment or speculate on the comments coming from Ernie Whitt since he was let go by the Jays on Friday, there are two things I do want to say.
- Ernie please don't hold this departure against the Jays fans who love you. Just like Gibby, you're departure is not an indication of your time here or the place you hold in the hearts of Jays fans across the country; and,
- You're not the only one who doesn't understand the disconnect between responsibility and continued employment. I guess there are some things in life we're just not meant to understand. But throwing people under the bus doesn't sit well with me either and I'm sure many Jays fans can say the same.
Farewell for now. I don't know if I'll get back into updating every day or every second day again this season. Two jobs will do that. But I do promise to make more time to update, even it it's only once or twice a week. I miss it like hell and totally appreciate why I started in the first place.
Oh, here's hoping Shaun Marcum heals well. If the Jays do start hitting more (and taking pressure off the pitching staff), I don't think his arm will be missed nearly as much as if the Jays still couldn't get a run to save their or their families' lives.
Enjoy the rest of the game and the series against the Reds.
The Braves coming in on Friday should be fun, especially because I get to rockl my new retro jersey on Flashback Friday for the first time when I'm at the game with my mom.
Yay powder blue!
(Anyone else looking forward to seeing Cito in the powder? lol)
JaysGirl5
P.S. Completely off topic side note...it's nice when guys walk by and smell very nice. Thanks Rance. It's also nice when away team broadasters ask me if I need anything to drink. So, thanks away broadcaster who's name I don't know. You can drop the "ma'am" next time, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment