So, here's the thing I have with instant replay:
Where do you draw the line?
Seriously, I'm asking. Because right now you can only review homerun calls for whether the ball stayed fair and for those stadiums that have (what I'll call) homerun lines in their outfield in fair territory. Cool, awesome. Clearly defined situations in which the replays can be used. But if the use is extended, then what? Once per game per team to ask for a reviewed called; only once per type of play?
Not long after the whole debacle happened in Detroit, I got into a discussion about replay with the members of the press box for the Hamilton Thunderbirds games. One member of the discussion was all for instant replay, others not so much. We talked about what the constraints could be, what it would mean for single game, what the introduction to extended use could mean to the game in general, etc. Personally, still stuck on "Where do you draw the line?" over here.
I understand that blown calls suck. Really, no one wants their team to be on the receiving end of a blown call. And, depending on the size of the blown call, sometimes even the team its favours might not feel all that great about taking it. But, I'm a strong believer that most things like a blown call at first, a swinging strike that wasn't a swing, and a tag that wasn't a tag even out over the course of 162 games. Sure everyone once and a while there's a call that won't be evened out, but thems the breaks. In that case, I still believe that over the course of a team's history things like that with balance out. Big proponent of balance over here as well.
Obvisouly this isn't going to resolved by me blogging about it and it's certainly not going to be an issue easily solved even before the All-Star break. Though most may or may not put faith in the Commissioner's office, I believe that regardless of what they decide they will look into this from every angle they can before making the ultimate decision. The nice thing about all this? They could try it, find out it doesn't work and get rid of it to go back to just homerun calls. Major League Baseball (now) doesn't seem like an organization completely unwilling to try something after due diligence in their research and scraping it if it completely doesn't work.
Yay Jesse Litsch for working his way back, boo for the sweep in Colorado. That higher altitude has never been kind to the Jays. Here's hoping they can pull a win or two (or three!) together while in San Diego. Shaun Marcum's up tonight and it's the ace's job to stop the bleeding, right? He hasn't done too bad in that job so far this season, so please Shaun...
Up next for thoughts...roster moves with player returns (although Jesse has already come back) and the fairness of the schedule.
Time to conserve energy for the 10pm start tonight...maybe a nap is in order.
Happy viewing Jays fans!
JaysGirl5
P.S. Yours truly did the colour commentary for the Thunderbirds this past Sunday. Other than needing to slow down my speech (I speak quite quickly naturally), I think it went quite well. Hopefully...so I get to do it again!
No comments:
Post a Comment