For hockey fans this year, it was the deaths of three
players in a very short span this off-season.
For us baseball fans, it’s the recent kidnapping and rescue
of the National’s rookie catcher Wilson Ramos.
As news broke early last Thursday morning, the whole
baseball world started holding its collective breath. Outpourings of well
wishes, prayers, and tweets went around the world hoping that Ramos would be
returned safe and sound.
As we now know, Ramos was taken at gunpoint in front of his
family’s home on Nov 9th. His kidnappers eventually came to rest at a secluded
house in the mountains of Venezuela’s central Carabobo state. Ramos was told he
would be ransomed and was left alone. Almost three days later, and after a 15
minute gun battle, Ramos was able to return to his family physically unscathed
and overcome with appreciation to everyone who played at part in his return.
This isn’t the first time baseball and kidnapping have
crossed paths, although to MLB’s knowledge this is the first time a player has
been taken. Mothers and children of pro baseball players have been taken; one’s
cousin was killed a few years ago. And there are more stories.
As lovers of the beautiful game, it’s easy for us to get
caught up in enjoying what happens on the field, and the rumours/drama/gossip
that happens in the off-season surrounding free agents and whatnot. We forget
sometimes that the guys we enjoy watching so much go back to real lives. We
lose sight that making it to “The Show” doesn’t mean life just turns into a
fairy tale or that all problems go away. In some cases, like that of Wilson
Ramos, it can actually make you a target. And in the end, he was lucky.
I’ll admit to having a very slight, general knowledge of the
crime issues in South American states, but my eyes were blown pretty open when
reading about the current state of things throughout the Ramos story coverage.
If you haven’t read any, start. Read from the beginning to get a glimpse of
what I’m talking about.
I know that baseball is only a game and am very aware of the
role professional sports play and should play. But when the inevitable splash
of reality comes in, I’m reminded of how lucky I am in general. My love of
baseball (for many, many reasons) affords me an incredible love and
appreciation of life in general.
Every day, I think of how lucky I am to have baseball in my
life. Every day. And days like last Wed and Sat…they just put it all in
perspective.
Be grateful and thankful fellow fans.
JaysGirl5
No comments:
Post a Comment