Truth be told, things got a little hectic in the last weeks leading to September, but now they've somewhat calmed down.
Again, though, it seems I'm feeling there isn't much to be said about the Jays that isn't already being discussed. There are 1 or 2 things, and I'll elude to those later.
"Rock On"s go to...
- Gregg Zaun for playing in career game 1000;
- Mike Timlin for becoming only the 13th pitcher in MLB history to appear in over 1000 games. (I think those stat numbers are right. He's been around long enough.);
- Clay Buckholz for becoming the first RSox rookie to throw a no-hitter; and
- Pedro Martinez for getting career strikeout #3000 in his return to the Mets last week.
I must say, I don't dislike Pedro as much as I used to. Probably has something to do with the fact that he's with the Mets, and not the RSox anymore.
I will admit what Roger Clemens has done over his career is incredible. I have very certain feelings about him being a baseball mercenary, but those aren't the point here. A few days ago, I heard that Clemens might now make his next start because of pain in his elbow...and blisters on his right foot. Maybe the media outlet was trying to make a subtle joke of Clemens. I can understand not pitching with elbow pain or with blisters on your pitching hand. But blisters on your foot? There are ways to treat those and make them pain free, you know. But, he's only making around $18 million for four months of work. What's a little time off for blister healing...
By no means do I think the Jays are dead in the playoffs. They're still hungry. Even though they lost last night, I think coming back from a 10-1 deficit, instead of throwing in the towel, shows they want to compete. Zaun's unassisted put out in the 5th at home showed that they're not ready to fall asleep for the rest of the season. It's nice to see the offense finally waking up.
For everyone who thought the Jays should just write off their season, I'd just like to point out that as off September 1, the Jays had the exact same record they did last year at that time (69-66). I don't think I need to remind people that the Jays ended up 2nd in their division at the end of the season last year, and finished with a final record of 87-75. Considering all the injuries this season and all the man games lost, I think if the Jays can get close to that record...I'd be incredibly proud. Their schedule won't be the easiest, as the rest of September could be called the East Showdown month. Six games against the RSox, 7 against the Yanks, 6 against the Os, and 6 against the Rays. There is one game against Detroit on the 10th to make up for a previously postposed game. But still...a total of 14 games against teams ahead of them in the schedule...
Which, leaves me to a very special "Rock On" before I head out...
To whoever the hell made the schedule for this season,
Either you've been syphoning off Seeer skills from the Trelawney's or you just got lucky, but you've done an incredibly job with the schedule and playoff showdowns. Rock On, annonymous scheduler, Rock On.
________________________________________________________
Contrary to last night's game, tonight's match-up between Josh Beckett and Roy Halladay should be lacking a little more in the hits department. Hopefully Doc can get his 15th win, after pitching 2 complete games, and not getting a thing.
I think that's it for today.
Enjoy the game tonight.
JaysGirl5
No comments:
Post a Comment