Monday, September 13, 2010

T.B. Shout Out!

A few notes from the weekend series against Tampa...

Even though the recent successful years for the Rays have made the AL East an even tougher division for my Jays, I still have a soft place in heart for them. I'm not sure if it's because they seemed like the eager little brother trying to impress their older sibs for so long or what...but I like 'em. What can I say?

There are a lot of guys on their team I enjoy watching. I loved the area when I stayed in Tropicana territory in '07 for Spring Training and I really love Joe Maddon's themed team trips. Plus, one of their upcoming giveaways is a superhero cape. It's only for kids 13 and under though. But still, how cool is that?

I will honestly say that I don't begrudge them their success. If I can't have my Jays in the playoffs from the East I want it to be Tampa, instead of those other two (usually) contending teams. I will be so happy someday when it's Rays vs. Jays for the division lead and the Wild Card. Imagine that series...

I should also mention that I really enjoy listening to their broadcast team. Most of the time when the Rays come to town I'm treated to listening to the easy banter between Dewayne Staats and Brian Anderson. I've actually put a lot of thought in to why I enjoy listening to them so much and I can never really figure it out. Part of it is you can clearly hear the fun they have commentating on a baseball game, but even more so the fun they have just talking to each other. I don't always get that feeling when listening to all broadcasting duos.

Speaking of Brian Anderson, he celebrated the 17th anniversary of his MLB debut last Friday. Which oddly enough had him coming out of the bullpen in Toronto to face Paul Molitor in 1993. Apprently all he kept thinking was how much he didn't want to hook a spike in the old astrofurf and fall on his face. Gotta love it.

Best quote of the weekend, courtesy of Mr. Anderson..."[The pitcher] puts one in your happy zone and you come out of your shoes." He was talking about getting a great pitch to hit from a pitcher, in case you needed the clarification.

One quick mention of Jaysland stuff...how awesome was JoBau's homerun on the 2nd pitch of his AB on Friday night after not getting the time-out call? I thought it was great that he kept his composure (again). You could just tell that something great was going to happen on the next pitch, and BLAM! He tied the game. If only it could have ended there. At least LindyHop hit the walkoff on Sunday. Too bad they couldn't win in extras tonight in Baltimore.

Look out for Kyle Drabek's debut on Wed night, although it's going to be on Sportsnet One. I was sure that game was listed on being on Sportsnet as of this weekend, but oh well. Call and harrass your cable providers (not Sportsnet please!) about getting the channel. Trust me on this...

I'm working on my piece about the murky waters of cheating and steroids, but I'm trying to make sure I get my exact point across so I'm taking my time with it. The end of the regular season countdown is on my friends and I'm starting to get the blues. As much as I love the smell of fall in the air, my hearts dims a little every year around this time as baseball season gets ready to end. But, I still got to enjoy this season and there's always next year.

Enjoy the games we have left everyone!
JayGirl5

No comments: