Monday, September 6, 2010

"Touch 'em all..."

As it nears the end of baseball season, the fan portion of deciding who receives the Ford C. Frick award is upon us. Now, I'm not going to say much on the topic. I believe Tom Cheek deserves to be on the list of recipients that hangs in Cooperstown. For pretty much every Jays fan across the country, he was the voice of baseball in Canada (along with Jerry Howarth.)

I'm still undecided if I will be getting involved in this year's voting. I agree with The Tao of Stieb. I urge all Jays fans to decide for themselves if they will vote. Just remember...even if the rest of the baseball world never knows of Tom Cheek, we were lucky enough to have him for over 4000 consecutive games and as the soundtrack for one of the greatest moments in Blue Jays history.

On another small side note, two things that stood out about Jose Bautista recently for me:

  1. His composure while arguing the strike-that-wasn't-a-strike over the weekend in New York. By the end, he did start finger pointing at the ump, but he started arguing by clasping both hands behind his back and not getting in the face of the ump too much. I've never seen a player react like that in that situation before and I think it speaks to JoBau's professionalism and maturity.
  2. While watching his interview on Jays Connected today, I absolutely loved when he said "It's not fair to me" when discussing the steroids stuff that's been going around. It wasn't said egotistically or with any malice. But, it was nice to see a definitive stand. We're all familiar with the stereotypical platitudes and responses in the pro athlete's media repetoire. But sometimes it's nice to hear a guy say exactly what he feels/means, instead of saying something meant to be placating and to put an end to the question.

They say things are bigger in Texas, but lucky for us you can't get any bigger than Toronto when it comes to homeruns.

Enjoy the rest of the series against the Rangers!

JaysGirl5

No comments: