Thursday, July 12, 2007

1 Down, 1 Up, 1 Back...1 Real Fake Marriage?

It's 7:43pm, the Jays are down 4-1 in the top of the 2nd. Aaron Hill just hit an infield single. Yes, Hill is in the game. Needless to say, a large majority of the rest of this post is false. However, I leave it for 2 reasons: 1) To remind myself never to believe anything Jays related until it's released by the Jays, and 2) 'Cause the joke about a fake marriage is kinda funny. So read on...if you want.


Looks like the soreness won out. The National Post, Toronto Star, and now Sportsnet.ca are reporting that Aaron Hill will indeed be starting the 2nd half on the DL. The move is retroactive to the 8th, so he's eligible to come off on the 22nd. I realise the Jays haven't release anything officially on this yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. More than likly by game-time tonight, it'll be up on the website. Get better Hilly.

So...it appears with Hill going on the DL, Russ Adams gets his chance with the big club again. Personally, I hope he does a lot better than last season, but nothing's really going to lose Aaron his job at second. If anything, Russ could prove he's either a really good backup or something that could maybe be offered in a future trade. I think Johhny Mac and Howie Clark have proven themselves as excellent utility guys...so I don't know if Russ would take one of their spots. Only time will tell, but good luck Russ Adams. My mom will be happy you're back.

Lyle Overbay also makes his return to the lineup this weekend. More than likely it's going to be tonight, but you never know. As glad as I am that Lyle and Reed are back, it does mean getting to see Matt Stairs on the field a little less. I know this will make him happy, as he's said many times he'd rather be on the bench and everyone healthy, than playing because of injuries.

Lastly...It would seem the fake wedding teamates threw for Aaron Hill and Russ Adams sometime in '05 actually did unite something for real: their careers. Since the momentous, catered (apparently) occasion...the two good friends haven't been able to be successful for that long together on the field.

Hill and Adams were looked to be the double play combo for the Jays for the next couple of years. Russ starts having fielding problems at short, leading to confidence problems, and eventually problems at the plate. He goes down to Triple A. Aaron meanwhile continues to get better at second, but with Russ's departure, is flip flopped back between short and second. Russ is moved to second in the minors, and eventually works his way back to Toronto. So now it's still tag team Hill and Adams up the middle, but the positions are reversed. Russ continutes to have problems at second, and is eventually sent down pretty much for good. Hill is moved back over to second base where, up until his DL stint, he was making plays, turning heads, and marking his Gold Glove territory left, right, backhand, deep in the hole, and centre.

Needless to say...their marriage has been anything but smooth. At least with Russ coming up, it won't be a long distance relationship for awhile.

_________________________________________
Doc goes for #11 against Tim Wakefield for Boston. This season against the Knucleballer, Clayton leads the team with a .333 AVG. in 9 at-bats. Vernon Wells is next at .275, followed by Johnny Mac with .263. The Jays might have caught a break against Boston as David Ortiz might not be playing tonight. He has to get an MRI done on his knee. It's up in the air if he'll play in the series, probably depending on the results. I'm not saying I like guys being injured, but I'll take all the breaks I can get when we play the RSox.

Enjoy the beginning of what should be an interesting (hopefully great for the Jays) 8 game road trip.
Until tomorrow,
JaysGirl5


Note: I've always thought the fake wedding story hilariously awesome, and always wanted a chance to talk about it in a blog. Hence, the possibly going a little overboard with the joke.

1 comment:

We are an internet broadkast where fans submit their videos praising or ripping their favorite team or player in hopes of making the SMACKKAST. said...

great blog... too bad you guys and joe carter killed Philly in 93...

oh well, hey check out my blog...you might get a kick out of it

www.smackkast.com

thanks, see ya in the next series!