Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Letter to the Rogers Centre

I was lucky enough to be with you when you turned 20 this past weekend. It was a memorable experience. It saddens me that just over 15,000 turned up for Friday night’s game (which was exactly 20 years since the Jays’ first official game in you), but everyone there had a grand time.

Anyone who is a Jays fan has mentioned something about your big day leading up to it, so I will try to keep this short.

You are my favourite place. I still flash back to the first time I visited you every time I see the field. Who wouldn’t remember the neon green AstroTurf surrounded by blue seats. Sure, you have FieldTurf now and it’s a little darker, but it’s still beautiful. You’ve also had a couple facelifts over the years, but honey you look fantastic! I haven’t been to many other fields where pro baseball is played, but I don’t know if there are any that exude as much home team pride as you do. It’s a feeling I get every time I’m there and maybe it is just me, but I don’t think so.

I know you’re name has changed and I have no problem calling you Rogers Centre because it is an homage to the man who very well might have saved MLB baseball in Canada. For that I, and every Jays fan in Canada (whether they realise what exactly Ted Rogers did when he bought the team or not), should feel proud to call you by your new name. After all…other than the Jays, Canada only has 1 minor league team that is affiliated with MLB (Vancouver’s Canadians, Single-A for the As.)

I’ll admit though, in my heart of hearts…you’ve always had a different name. DreamDome. Because that’s what you are. Whether it’s rock star dreams, athletics dreams, fan dreams of seeing their favourite rock star or athlete…you’ve made them come true. At the time you were built you were an engineering and construction dream. There are other parks that have retractable roofs now, but you were the first. And it doesn’t matter how many times someone may have seen your top slide back; it never gets old.

I can't imagine the day when you are no more and I feel deep empathy for those who have had to say goodbye to the park they grew up in (Tigers' Stadium, Candlestick, etc.). You are the only place I ever want to call home of the Jays.

I consider myself lucky to have spent the time with you that I have. Mostly baseball, but a few concerts along the way. Most memorable would have to be Roy Halladay’s 22 season win and his 100 career victory, Vernon Wells’ walkoff against Mariano Rivera, throwing out the first pitch against the Yankees (even though we lost), walking on the field for the first time for work.

I love you Rogers Centre, SkyDome, DreamDome…whatever you want to be called. I smile every time I see you, or even see the CN tower from my balcony because I know you’re right beside it. Thank you for being where baseball dreams (and dreams in general) come true every year for a small-town Canadian girl and everyone else whose dreams have come true in you.

Love always,
JaysGirl5

No comments: