Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Devil Wears Tampa

Okay, I'll admit it. Cheesy title.

It also could have been "The Devil wears Blue Jays when Tampa's Around". What I mean is that somehow doesn't it seem like the Jays and Rays have played a lot of games in the past few years that really, without being too biased here, should have been won by the Jays?

I don't really know what it was with previous teams, but it almost felt like the Jays played down against the Devil Rays. They went in expecting to win everytime. I don't think any player would admit to this because you never know in baseball (even when it is the Rays), but it's an unconscious thing. Yes, for all intense purposes, the Rays suck. Their team has a lot of young kids, some with a lot of that sometimes curse/curseword potential, but it doesn't change that they're still not very good as a whole. Yet. (See below for further details.)

Now, having said that, I completely love them as spoilers. Near the end of the season in the last couple of years when there was a battle between NY and Boston, knowing that they'd have to play the Rays was always interesting.

I'll admit I got a ticket to see Rocco Baldelli play when he first came up. Did he live up to the hype? Speed wise, yes. Batting and defense? Never really saw enough in person to know. Then he went and tore his ACL playing wiffle ball. I've never played it myself, but I'm still a little perplexed how he managed that one. Note: He's on the 15-day DL again dating back to May 17th. He's had about as much luck personally with the injury bug in his short career, as the Jays have this season so far.

Now Carl Crawford...that guy can run. I'll go see my Jays play anyone, and if it just happens to be the Rays, I won't be sad because it's great seeing Crawford. I like stolen bases, bunts, small ball stuff. If he happens to steal a base or two a series against the Jays, I'm okay with that. As long as he doesn't score because of it. (Note: I'd like to see what Fasano could do with Crawford on the bases. Just sayin'.)

It's always nice to see a guy who could one day be a bonafide Ace, like Scott Kazmir could be. On the Rays he's the Ace. Other teams, he'd maybe be a #2 or #3, but I think someday he could the solid anchor at the start of someone's rotation. Let's hope that if it is the Rays, they get better so that his career numbers represent his stuff and, if he reaches it, his full *gasp* potential.


Yet...

Just to throw it out there, I think someday the Rays will become a little bit more of a formidable opponent. Yes, their payroll is super low and they don't always have luck with their draft picks, but I think eventually things will start to come together. Somehow. Baseball ebbs and flows like everything. As the season goes on, it looks more and more like the Yankee's reign atop the AL East might be ending. The Central is taking over as the tightest (and possibly toughest) division. Will the Rays win the Division in say, the next...5 years? Probably not, but their position as spoilers will become more prominent and I don't think teams will even be subconsciously playing down to them.

_________________________________________________
The Jays and Rays kick off their 3 game set tonight as both teams come in having won their last 2. Roy Halladay tries to make it 2-0 sans appendix as Andy Sonnanstine makes his big club debut. I definitely think it would be cool to make your debut against Doc, but that's just me. The Rays have some work on their hands as they've only won 4 of their last 12 games played at Rogers Centre. The Jays lead the season series so for 4-2.

Until tomorrow...
JaysGirl5

No comments: