Okay, so I guess Curtis Thigpen really isn't *that* little, but at 5'11 he is one of the shorter people on the team. Only 3 guys are shorter than him on the 25-man roster, 4 if you count Reed Johnson. BUT he does make his major league debut tonight at 1st base, and for some reason I couldn't get that blog title out of my head since last night.
On to the BIG news. The Jays won, after going into the bottom of the 9th trailing 11-6. When I got home from baseball (we won 12-9) and saw it was 8-1 in the 4th with Brian Wolfe pitching, I started freaking. They wouldn't say what happened to Doc. Well, he kinda imploded. Pat Tabler and Jamie Campbell talked about whether Doc might be tipping his pitches or something. Doc seems to think it's mechanics. All I know is, no one will be working harder at anything than Doc trying to figure this out. I know he will.
I won't go too much into the details of last night because it's been all covered extensively.
I will say:
- Rock on Aaron Hill for not pressing and walking twice in the 9th to start and end things;
- Rock on Jason Phillips for your double. Sorry I've been saying you weren't memorable for the
past week. You helped out great last night.
- Rock on Jason Frasor. You're doin' good small guy. Keep it up.
I remember watching the last and only time the Jays came back with 6 runs to win in the bottom of the 9th. It was against Kansas City in 2003, and I just remember completely freaking. It was so uplifting to see them come back like that. Just like it was last night.
Three quotes I want to point out from last night after the game...
- "In the back of your mind, you've been going through this for six years, naturally you think, 'Is this going to happen again?' You don't want to think that but you've been through it so much you naturally think about it a little bit." - Carl Crawford.
I think this just kinda shows what I was talking about yesterday. The Rays have some good pieces, but they've never been good as a whole. I applaud the guys who's stuck around for a long time, because it must be very trying and draining to live through that all the time.
- "Anytime your ace struggles, you want to do what you can to erase that loss. Doc's bailed us out of so many situations, for us to be able to do it for him is huge." - Vernon Wells
- "It just shows a lot of heart. When the guys come back, and do what they did tonight...It means a lot to me that they feel that way, but it was a great comeback for our team." - Roy Halladay
All the Jays will be quick to point out that Doc's gotten them out of trouble. For me, it's just another example of how Roy Halladay just really cares about the win for his team at the end of the day. True, he might want to put his perfomance behind him and just get to work fixing the problem.
________________________________________
Tomo Ohka takes the mound for the Jays against Scott Kazmir for the Rays. After winning last night, the Jays gained a game on the Red Sox. They're 9 games back now. They are now 4 games back in the Wild Card, tied with Minnesota, behind (in order) Detroit, Seattle, and Oakland.
I['m not sure who to root to lose between Boston or Oakland 'cause either way the Jays won't move up in one of the races if they win. Oh well, who am I kidding. I usually always want Boston to lose.
Good luck in your debut Thiggie.
Until post-game tomorrow,
JaysGirl5
No comments:
Post a Comment