Monday, June 25, 2007

Jays Bring Out Firebolts* to Head to Minnesota

It was an incredible day at Rogers Centre yesterday. Even considering the sunburn on my shoulders, it was worth it.

As Jamie Campbell wrote in his blog over the weekend, every Jays fan one time or another has probably written Dustin McGowan off. I, truthfully, never have. It was more of an impatience for him to finally reach is *potential*. Well, after yesteday's 1 hit performance, I don't think anyone will doubt his ability again. Especially considering the start he bounced back from earlier in the week (which I was at as well.) I'm interested to see how his next start in Seattle will go on Friday.

It's was an incredible thing to witness, and I just kept remember watching Doc with one out to go on the last day of the '98 season, in his 2nd career start, giving up a hit to end his almost perfect game. Click here for more.

I will admit, I was a little mad at the guys in front of me talking about the no-hitter before it was over. That's a complete no-no. But how awesome was it that Gregg Zaun seemed to be a little more veklempt after the game about the single in the 9th than Dustin was. I love Zaunie.

Frank Thomas hit a towering shot into the 2nd deck that almost went foul. I was sitting right down in the leftfield corner, so I had a really good view of the ball going out. I stood up and just kept saying "Holy S***! Holy S***!". It was so high and didn't even really sound like a homerun when he hit it. I remember seeing Josh Phelps hit a homerun into the 500 level, and almost thought Frank had done it as well. (Anyone else remember when they would have different colour seats for where homeruns were hit in the 5oo level, or am I just dreaming?)

Rock On...
  • Jays for your awesome defense yesterday. Especially Howie Clark for your diving grab;
  • Vernon Wells for trying to get the crowd on their feet and applauding Dustin in the outfield;
  • Dustin McGowan for pitching a 1 hitter;
  • Frank Thomas for hitting homerun #499;
  • Thomas and Matt Stairs, at a combined age of 78, for leading the team in Saturday's win;
  • the Jays for FINALLY reaching .500 again; and
  • the Jays for sweeping a team for the first time since the Orioles, May 14-16.

It's nice to finally see Thomas getting things together at the plate. After hitting a homerun in each of the games against the Rockies, I have a hard time believing that he'll leave Minnesota without reaching 500, if not more, homeruns. It just sucks it won't happen in Toronto. It was great yesterday when he came up to the plate haveing hit #499 the previous at-bat. Before the first pitch was thrown, I already kinda knew he probably wasn't going to get anything to hit again, but it would have been amazing if he had.

_________________________________________
Roy Halladay (8-2) is on the mound as the Jays try to win 4 straight for the first time all season. Kevin Slowey (2-0) is on the mound for Minnesota, as the Jays and Twins start a 4 game set. If there's anyone I'd want on the mound to continue the winning streak, it's Roy. The Jays are in 2nd place 11 games behind Boston, 6 games behind Cleveland (in the Wild Card), and 1/2 game up on NY. The Yanks have the night off tonight, so the Jays have the opportunity to be up a complete game on the Pinstripes.

Enjoy the game tonight.
Until tomorrow,
JaysGirl5

P.S. Another year goes by, and I don't win anything on the scratch'n'win tickets given out during the series against the Rockies. I guess there's always next year...

*Note: For those non-Harry Potter fans out there, "Firebolts" are just a fancy type of broom.

No comments: